Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A is for Airplane

At the end of last summer, I was talking with another mom who told me about her alphabet summers. They would do an activity for each letter of the alphabet throughout the summer and it combined learning with something fun. I knew that this would be something my kids would LOVE and set to making a list of things to do with my boys this summer. Today we began with of course, the letter A. I took the kids to the Manassas airport with hopes of getting some kind of tour when we got there. Tom, the head flight instructor took really good care of us. We got to climb in and on two planes and lots of trucks that are used at the airport. He taught us all about how the planes work and how to get your pilot's license and even said that some kids fly starting at age 9 or 10 (with an adult)! He loaded us down with airplane magazines and pictures and little toy planes for the boys to play with. I was so impressed with our drop in tour and everyone was so friendly with the kids. They are currently downstairs playing airplane and have been pouring over their magazines ever since we got home. My hope is that this plan will give us something to do throughout the summer to keep busy and make me think outside the box with the boys. Today certainly was a success!




3 comments:

Brooke said...

We're doing an "alphabet summer" as well. I didn't do Airplane this year. I'll have to keep that in mind for another summer. The kids really love it so far.

Corri said...

Wow! What fun! Can we come live with you for the summer?

rusted sun said...

What a great idea. It sounds like the kids are having a great time.