Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Scenes from a Burke Lake Picnic

The list of things we wanted to do this summer seems to be multiplying every time I look at it. School looms so soon and I am feeling the pressure to pack in the fun whenever possible. Today we went to Burke Lake Park with Grandma. Can I just go off topic for a moment to say how awesome it is now that she is retired? Last night we went to see Wicked for both of our birthdays and we had such an amazing afternoon and evening, it really was the best. I wish I had remembered to bring my camera. Anyway, it has probably been three years since we have been to Burke Lake, so it was time to revisit the train and playgrounds there, and we had a picnic lunch and then went on a short hike to find some fowl to feed. We found some cute little adolescent ducklings that were a breed of duck I've never seen before. They made the cutest little quiet quacking sound and were so gentle with the kids, despite Gavin's jumping and yelling. Then the geese saw we had something to offer and high tailed it over to get a piece of the pie. These guys were big and aggressive and not afraid of us at all. As you can see from the pictures, they ate right from our hands. I think that was the highlight of our day. We truly love having so many great parks nearby to frequent with the kids. It was a great day!






No comments: