Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Sully Plantation

All my years growing up in Virginia and I have never been to Sully Plantation before today as a chaperone for Cameron's first grade field trip. The plantation, built in 1794 was the home of Richard Bland Lee, Virginia's first Congressman. Our group toured the home where we learned that 4 people used to share a full sized bed so conserve body heat in the winter and breakfast was usually just leftovers from the previous day's supper.Then we went to the kitchen where we learned about cooking over a fire and we made our own spice packets that they used to infuse certain spices into soups and sauces.
We also made crackers and baked them in a dutch oven. They were served with sugar and jelly that tasted like honey and were very tasty!

After the tour, the kids had a picnic lunch and it was time to head home. I love that I can go on these fun and educational trips with Cameron to experience these memories with him. Sully Plantation is a one of a kind place that can give him an appreciation for the historical landscape that surrounds us here in Virginia. What a blessing to be able to learn about our forefathers in the very same places that they once stood!

1 comment:

Marsha said...

I love places like this but I've never been to this one. I can't wait to check it out!