Monday, February 4, 2013

Dear Mason























Last, but definitely not least is dear Mason.  Kid, you have shaken our family up!  At times you can be stubborn beyond belief, but you also make us roll on the floor in laughter.  You are so clever and I am often in awe of how your little mind works.  I love/hate how you insist things be on your terms whether it be how you put on your shoes, or your lengthy ritual of saying goodbye when anyone in our family leaves the house.  I have to trick you into telling me about preschool, because if I just ask you about it you resist and keep your mouth clamped tight.  I have learned how to charm information out of you so you don't realize you're actually being compliant.  Just yesterday on the way home from church you told me that Sister Bennin has a policy that if you get to a three in her class you don't get a treat.  Then you told me you had gotten on a three and proceeded to tell me exactly what you had done (getting out of your seat, laying on the floor, talking too much).  I was about to go home and call her to apologize for your behavior when you impishly grinned and told me it was all a big joke!  You hadn't even gotten a one.  That was quite the story to tell your mother...  You can throw a fit with the best of them, but also love your snuggle time.  My favorite time with you is when you get up before the boys and come crawl into bed for a few minutes before it's time to get going.  You put your little hands on my face and tell me you love me because I'm beautiful.  I think you have a future in theater because of all of the expressions you make, I love it.  You are my little shadow and want to be doing whatever I am doing, whether it is cooking dinner or folding the laundry.  It isn't often that you will go downstairs and play alone, you are so social.  You love math and ask me to give you "math questions" (addition) in the car when we are driving.  You also are starting on those Bob books that Gavin had when he was your age and I have been shocked at how easily you are able to sound out the words.  In our puppy classes, Gavin asked one of the ladies if her dog was a boy or a girl and she said boy.  You promptly looked underneath and loudly exclaimed "That's because he has a penis!"  Embarrassing but hilarious.  It's beginning to hit me that next year I won't have you or anyone else here to keep me company each day.  As much as I complain about having to tote you around with me and think that I will enjoy my freedom, I know it will be difficult to be without my little buddy.  I love the spark you add to our family, I hope you never change.