Sunday, March 18, 2012

Tradition

Something that I feel strongly about in our family are traditions. Whether it is that we have pizza and movie night each week or go to the Outer Banks every summer, I think that there is something so wonderful about having something that your family does consistently. You know what to expect and it just feels like- home. One thing that we do well in our family are the holidays. Even St. Patrick's Day. I love that these pictures could've been taken last year because every year it is basically the same: the night before we set up a leprechaun trap, the morning of we find little footprints all over the house, green pee in the toilets and some sort of gold that we managed to snag in our trap but no leprechaun. This year I think our trap was too small, maybe next year we'll actually catch one! We always have Lucky Charms for breakfast and have corned beef grilled sandwiches and potato chips, with green sherbet (or rainbow this year) and ginger ale to drink later in the day. The kids love it and so do we adults. Years down the road when the kids are gone, you watch and see Jeremy and I setting our traps out on March 16th :)

I've also included a picture of the desk I refurbished for Gavin. I got this beauty at a junk store in Culpepper for $25. It was hiding under some thick black and white paint, but after stripping her down I just had to leave the solid wood bare, at least on the top. It is a nice sturdy place for him to get his work done and he has been asking for one ever since he started kindergarten. I love how it turned out and he is thrilled to have so many drawers for his art supplies. I know it will get years of use and love from my boys.




No comments: