Monday, November 9, 2009

Birthday Boy Gavin




Today my little boy got big. Gavin is 4, can you beleive it? Maybe it is because he is the middle child, but these birthdays sure do sneak up on me. We have a tradition for birthdays in our house- you get to pick where you want to eat for dinner and what kind of cake you want to have. Gavin knew right away the answer to both of these questions- McDonalds for dinner and a UPS cake (he has had UPS on the brain, can you tell?) As soon as Daddy got home from work we went to McD's and Gavin had his usual, chicken nuggets with fries and apples and chocolate milk, and then we came home and Grandma and Jeff came over for cake (not my best cake by far, but it was the best I could do!) At least it tasted yummy. For a few weeks now we have been asking the older boys to start their Christmas and birthday lists. We have been getting some toy magazines in the mail and Gavin pours over them. As much as Cameron was into trains, Gavin is into trucks and tractors. ANY truck he finds he wants even though our basement is filled with dump tucks, fire trucks, cement trucks, garbage trucks, cranes, and the like, he wants a whole fleet. This year he has asked for a snow plow, a street sweeper and a cherry picker, so when I actually saw a cherry picker truck I had to get it for him even though it went against my better judgement. The pure and simple joy on that kids face when he opened it was more than enough to let me know I had chosen well and he has been playing with it all day. Then when my mom came by tonight she brought his gift of a real construction man outfit. He didn't want to take it off for bed, he just loves the goggles and measuring tape that came with it. So it seems that two of my boys will grow up to be a train engineer and a construction worker (or a UPS man). I was a good day filled with lots of smiles and happy boys. I wish it could be like this every day. Happy Birthday Gavs!

5 comments:

Kristy said...

Happy birthday! That cake is so cute!

Lisa Allen said...

Brandon and I say Happy Birthday Gavin!!! What great pictures. Again, we wish we could be there.

Lisa

Kristen said...

Erika I'm with you on that one--I couldn't that it really was his birthday! That went fast. He's a cutie. I can't believe that he actually asked for a cherry picker, Hilarious! Happy birthday!

Kristine said...

That cake is great..don't underestimate your talent! Must be the November babies and trucks/cars - Cole, too, is wild for them. Happy Birthday Gavin!!

Monica said...

Great job on the cake! You really pulled it off!