Sunday, July 19, 2009

Tried out the new ER today




This morning Mason was playing around in our bathroom and was reaching for a toy in our shower. He slipped and fell face first onto the track that the shower doors sit on. Blood. Gushing. Everywhere. It was a super deep wound so off to the ER Mommy and Mason went. Part of me was just a little happy that we would get to try out this new mini-ER we have right around the corner, especailly since our visits to the Ma-nasty emergency room have been less than ideal. Picture Thanksgiving a couple years back when my 80 something grandma fell down our stairs and broke her wrist. We waited hours with people regurgitating their turkey all around us. Yum. I've also had a broken toe that was displayed for all to see on the wheelchair they insisted I use with the leg part sticking straight out so people could bump into it. Repeatedly. For hours. I could go on, but suffice it to say, that ER needed some backup and I was ready to take the challenge with one 15 month old. When I got there the parking lot had about 5 cars in it. The waiting room was completely empty. I went straight into a treatment room and all the nurses that had nothing better to do came in to ooh and ahh over my adorable maimed baby. We were in and out in just over an hour, after four little stitches. It was actually a pleasant experience, considering what we have dealt with in the past. Oh and Mason? He was a total trooper, smiling for all the ladies and only screaming when completely necessary. They even gave him a cherry popsicle that made his day. He may just try this little stunt again to get all of that attention a second time. For cosmetic reasons, I certainly hope not.

11 comments:

just jen said...

poor little guy!

i would have been freaking out!

Kristen said...

I'm sure all the women were in love with that cutie! How awful though I'm glad it was easy to take care of. Thanks for the info about that ER. Hopefully we never have to visit one, but if we do I will definitely go there.

Tami said...

Poor kid! I totally prefer doc in the boxes or minor emergency rooms over the real thing any day. We have always had great experience, they are cleaner and quicker. Glad you have one nearby that works great!

Lisa Allen said...

Bless his heart!! Oh, how I wish I could get my arms around him.

Love you guys!
Lisa

Jones Family said...

Sorry to hear about Mason. Elle got stitches in about the same place a few weeks ago and after I knew she would be alright I started worrying about the scar. From what I've read, the best thing to help the scar not be so noticeable is to keep the sun off of it(for a year!). So we apply sunscreen at least twice a day and she wears a hat if she is going outside. That's all the advice I can offer! Miss you.

Brooke said...

OUCH!!! Poor guy! Good to know about the ER though. Truman skinned off half, literally half, of his face last Thursday. he couldn't see out of his right eye for two days. Boys will be boys. :)

Mandi said...

Glad he is all right! We have had a good experience with them too.

Gina said...

Oh what a cutie! Poor guy. I guess he'll start the stitches young!

Monica said...

oh man! I think all three of my little guys have had stitches in the head...something about boys I guess. Hayden giggled when he got stitches...that's when I knew I was in trouble with that! Glad your little guy was such a trooper!!

Angie said...

Oh Erika! That's so sad! Poor Mason! But I'm glad Haymarket ER came through for you. Tried and true.

Lynette said...

Hi Erika! I found your blog on Jen's blog! Mason's scar looked really good compared to the picture of it here...poor little guy! It's nice to know there is a decent ER close by.

It was nice talking to you for a bit at playgroup today!