Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Button, button, who's got the button?

(ten points if you know the movie the title comes from!)Lately, Cameron has become obsessed with money. We give him $2 a week for doing some basic chores, and he is constantly counting it and asking how he can earn more. Thanks Grandma and Jeff for helping this obsession grow while we were away. My mom actually told me that she found Cameron up in his bed with a fist full of money, sound asleep and smiling. Greedy little guy! Anyway, I'm not sure this new love is very healthy, so we came up with a new system and the beginning of summer was the perfect time to implement it. The two boys can earn buttons for doing tasks around the house, or schoolwork. For example, Cameron can earn two buttons for reading me a book, and Gavin can earn two for helping to set the table, etc. Then, they can turn the buttons in for special things, like 30 minutes of screen time (computer, TV, or video game), or a sweet treat, or a special activity like a craft or baking with mom. We are only on day two, but I am pleased with the short term results so far. Maybe this will help me keep my sanity with three little boys at home all the time in the coming months!

5 comments:

Jean Allen said...

What a great idea!

Monica said...

hey and it will keep money in YOUR pocket!! We are doing some similar things around here and I'm gonna have to go with the button idea cause I'm seeing cash fly out of purse!!

Alex said...

Good idea Erika...I have always been so off and on trying out different rewards systems, but this one sounds like it might be a winner! I'll have to try it out. :)

Robyn said...

Great idea, Erika, but those buttons are too cute to keep in a jar! They need to decorate or embelish something! I love any incentive programs that doesn't give kids money that they will try to spend on a toy the next time we go to Target!

Kristy said...

Such a good idea! My parents did something similar when I was little and it worked pretty well. Way to go, mom!