Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The Date

A few weeks ago I asked Gavin what he would like to do for his birthday. Did he want to invite some friends over and have a little party? He told me that he wanted to go to the movies and see Puss N Boots. Fine. Who would you like to invite? Ashley. Just Ashley. Nobody from school or church? Nope. Just Ashley. In fact, he didn't even want his brothers to come and asked if I could just drop them off! When I told him that wasn't an option, he asked if I could maybe sit somewhere else in the theatre. Where does he get this stuff?

Gavin and Ashley have been best friends since they were born. Our families are practically joined at the hip and these two have forged a bond that can't be broken. Even though they are in different classes at school. They sit back to back at lunch every day and play together at recess. Ashley rides home on the bus with Gavs every Thursday and they spend their time coloring and playing dress up and reading to each other. It simply is adorable. They talk about getting married some day and I hold my breath at the thought. It would be all too perfect. I love the innocence of it all.

Well, last night was the much anticipated date, Gavin had prepared by dressing especially dashing and putting on some of dad's cologne, Ashley had set out her outfit days ago planning just what she would wear and how she would do her hair. He went to get her all by himself, and helped her into the car. We went to get some frozen yogurt at Zinga and opened the gift Ashley had gotten him. Gavin asked if there was a heart on the card or even lips! They held hands the whole night and despite his request, I sat next to them during the movie so I could keep a close eye on Prince Charming. There was a perfectly acceptable hug at the end of the evening and I think both of them were tickled to be able to go on their first date. I hope the memories last since the next one won't be until they're both 16. These sweet little friends really have something special and I'm so glad I get to witness it. I hope it lasts forever.



3 comments:

Lynette said...

That is so sweet!

Angie said...

Ashley was smitten.

Mandi said...

That is so sweet and hilarious at the same time! I love them. I am sure you can only let yourself imagine how neat it would actually be if they ended up together. I love it! Miss you guys! I always do, especially at the holidays. Tell you boys I love them and have a happy thanksgiving my friend!