Monday, April 21, 2008

Adjusting to baby

Having three kids is hard work! Since Mason has entered our family, we have had to make some changes at home. Poor Gavin has taken the addition of his baby brother the hardest and has been acting all out if sorts. He has never been overly affectionate, but now always asks to snuggle and hold hands. He has been having major tantrums over little things and has not been sleeping well. I am hopeful that this is just a stage and that he will soon adjust to our new family dynamic. My heart goes out to him though, now that he is stuck in the middle of the baby and the big boy he doesn't quite know how to act.

Cameron is in love with his new brother. He is always asking to hold him and tries to tickle him and make him smile, despite the fact that I have explained that babies don't smile when they are this young. He is quick to give the baby back though when he smells like "yucky poop."

Mason so far (knock on wood) has been a great baby! We had one really hard night in the beginning, but since then he has been doing amazingly well. He's a great eater and is happy to just sit quietly and look around when he is awake. He's like a little clock when it comes to eating, every three hours almost on the nose and he is awake and ready. I am just crossing my fingers that he stays this way!

Jeremy just loves to sit and hold Mason. At night he puts him to sleep on his chest while he is downstairs. We both just love to sit and stare at him, wondering about what he is thinking and who he will be when he gets older.

My legs are slowly getting better. I am able to go up and down the stairs without the crutches now, but my knees are still pretty numb. I have an appointment tomorrow with a neurologist that hopefully will be able to give me some answers. The biggest thing about all of this is the fact that I can't carry the baby and I can't drive. Hopefully after tomorrow I will be told that driving is ok. My mom and my sister Becky have both been a HUGE help with coming to pick Cameron up from school and driving me around to run errands and just get out of the house! I am anxious to recover from this and get on with life.

We definitely feel blessed to have three healthy little boys. Our house is full and our family is complete. Now is the hard part- raising them. Hopefully we can have a little fun in the process.


5 comments:

Cherilyn said...

So glad you are doing better. I hope all goes well with the doct. appt. today. As for Gavin - I'm afraid it is also age related! Adjusting to a new baby is hard and so it being 2! Good luck! When you get a change email me at bloomerjc@comcast.net because I'm going private on my blog too.

miranda said...

I know how you feel it does get better. I am sorry to hear about your knees I hope you get good news soon. He is darling and so little.

Kimberly said...

hey, nothing like 4am feeding and blogging right? I hope your appt. goes well and you get some good news. i also hope the adjustment to three goes as well for us!

Kristen said...

I'm glad that things are going better. That's just the worst thing that you can't get out of the house on your own! I'd be going crazy. We'll come take Cameron again soon.

Angie said...

Poor Gavs! Let me know what the Dr. says about your nerves in the legs.