Sunday, January 20, 2008

Granny's Passing

This week has been a difficult one. On Wednesday we found out that my maternal grandmother (Granny) passed away after having a heart attack. Many of you were aware that she had open heart surgery at the beginning of the month and she never quite recovered from that procedure. Even though we knew she was not in the best health, it was still quite a shock to hear the news, we all just thought she would take a while to get back on her feet again. I for one know that I was not ready to see her go, we were very close and I will miss her terribly. Her funeral was held yesterday in Carlisle, Pennsylvania and our family went up on Friday to help with what we could and be with my grandpa (Pop Pop) during this hard time. Through all of the tears we have found moments of laughter and smiles as we reminisce about her life and our memories with her. She was the perfect grandmother to all of her 8 grandchildren and 33 great grandchildren, truly the kind of grandma I hope to someday be.
The silver lining to all of this was that it brought our family together, and we were able to see cousins, aunts and uncles that we haven't seen in years. My sister Lisa drove up from Tennesse with her family and we were priveleged to have them stay with us Saturday night on their way back home. My other two sisters also came to our home with their families last night and it was a cousin bonanza. We even played a game that we all learned from Granny's family parties- Characters, and even the little ones joined in. It isn't often that even all of my sisters and I are together, so it was a blessing to be able to have them all here, despite the circumstances. Granny was always the one that planned our family get togethers and I know that she would be happy knowing that her death brought us all together again.

7 comments:

Brooke said...

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I'm glad everyone was able to get together to remember her and be there for your grandfather.

Robyn said...

I've been thinking about you all weekend and I hope you're doing alright now. Hang in there!

Kristen said...

I am so sorry. That can be really hard. Hopefully you can all remember those good times and it will help.

miranda said...

I am sorry to hear about your grandma. I know you really loved her. It is nice to be able to be around love one's at this time.

Mandi said...

She looks like the sweetest, cutest lady. What a great picture to have. I know that you will miss her, but I am glad that you were able to spend so much time with your family.

Angie said...

You said Granny was the perfect Grandma and you so loved that about her. You'll be just like her, bringing family and good times together. You already have those traits of hers now.

Jones Family said...

I am so sorry to hear of your Grandmother's passing. I know she was very dear to you.